Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 22

Yesterday, when Becky went for a ride with Col, Little Love became fairly agitated in her stall.  She called after Col, something she hasn't done for a long time.  I was busy working around the barn and outside, but wandered in after hearing her third distress call.  She was spinning around in her stall, eyes on sticks. 
"Hey girl, no worries," I said and opened her stall door.  Then I sat down on a stool in front of her.  She took one look at me and stopped running in circles.  Then she stared out of the barn window, as if trying to see all the way down to the forest in case her boyfriend was down that way. 

I had planned to take her outside for a bit of grooming and feet checking, but wondered how that would work out, her being suddenly so worried about Col's absence.  I put the halter on and walked her outside.  But there was nothing to worry about, as she was suddenly calm and quiet, like a switch had gone off in her head.  She no longer cared if Col was there or not and I realized it was because I was there with her instead.  I don't think I'll ever be the same to her as another horse, and I don't even want to be. 

She is still so in love with her gelding friend that I'm thinking she is exhausted from just the amount of peeing she feels inclined to do in his company (as I said, she is in heat...) Tonight, when I took them in, I releaved Col from his blanket so the two horses could perform their nightly ritual of nibbling at each other.  Instead of allogrooming, they spent a good ten minutes touching each other gently over the wall.  It was like watching the horse version of tender kissing.  I already know not to go in and interrupt this, so I do some barn chores instead to give Col and Little Love the time they need.  Once they are done, it is obvious; they separate and start eating hay.  That's when I know I can go in and put on Col's barn blanket etc.  

Tomorrow morning the trimmer is coming and taking off the remaining shoe.  He's also going to possibly trim her hooves, or at least clean them up a bit.  With curiousity I look forward to the barefoot journey.  So far Little Love has not taken one lame step with her three bare feet, but I'm hoping it isn't because this one shod hoof is somehow holding most of her weight (is that even possible?)  With interested (and slight apprehension) I look forward to the next few days that will determine how sore she will actually be, once all her shoes are off.  I'm prepared for the worst, but am hoping for the best! :-) 

1 comment:

  1. No - her 4th, shod, foot isn't holding the weight of the other 3!

    It sounds like she'll do great barefoot.

    ReplyDelete